Dangerous Weapon & Firearm Offense Lawyer Minneapolis
The federal and state laws that regulate the permits of use and possession of guns and other dangerous weapons are serious, outlining specific guidelines for sale, ownership, and conduct.
Charges will vary according to the type of offense, if in a public space, and the results from the crime. From a misdemeanor to a felony level, the life-altering penalties also include fines and possibly prison time.
Weapon charges in Minnesota
The State of Minnesota outlaws that carrying a handgun or other weapons in public without a permit is prohibited unless under certain circumstances and in certain places. You can be charged if you carry a firearm in a public place without a state permit.
In order to get a permit, the individual must:
- Be at least 21 years old.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Have completed handgun safety training.
- Not be prohibited from having a gun under federal or Minnesota laws.
- Not be listed in the state’s criminal gang database.
However, it prohibits specific individuals from possessing any firearms, including those who:
- Have been convicted of a felony, violent crime, or drug crime.
- Have recently been convicted of domestic assault with a gun, stalking, and certain other crimes.
- Are subject to a protection order for domestic violence or domestic child abuse.
- Are still in a diversion program after being charged with a violent crime.
- Are illegal drug users.
- Have been committed to a chemical dependency treatment and haven’t completed that treatment.
- Have been committed after being found mentally ill or developmentally disabled and a danger to the public.
- Are living illegally in the U.S.
- Were dishonorably discharged from the U.S. military.
Gun Crime Enhancements in Minnesota
If an individual uses a weapon while committing another offense, a charge enhancement will be added, increasing the maximum sentence based on possible factors surrounding the case. Dangerous weapon enhancements can apply to the following crimes, among others:
- Illegal Drug Possession, with a gun in the vicinity
- Criminal Sexual Conduct
We Defend Your Gun Charges In Minnesota
At Arneson Law Office, we defend all types of charges related to a gun, firearms, and other dangerous weapons, including but not limited to:
- Carrying a firearm without a permit.
- Unlawful possession of a firearm or another dangerous weapon.
- Assault with the use of a dangerous weapon.
- Brandishing a firearm.
- Possession of a firearm by a minor.
- Felon in possession.
- Intentional or reckless discharge or another unlawful use of a gun.
- Carrying a firearm while under the influence.
- Unlawful sale of a firearm.
- Illegal transport of weapons
Being charged with a firearm or dangerous weapon offense is serious and can impact the individual’s life in the long term. You need legal representation to understand the court steps, your rights, and all the consequences you can encounter.
Call your attorney if you face any type of gun, dangerous weapon, or firearm charges for legal representation. You need someone with experience to go through your case and help you.
Contact Wyatt Arneson Today For The Best In Defense!
Do you need legal representation? Contact Arneson Law Office today or call our office at (612) 746-1188 to book a consultation. In case of emergency, call our 24-hour line for help at (612) 405-8010.